Monday, January 12, 2009

Goldie Locked Up

Okay – so CLEARLY everything has changed. Of course Oscar ballots are due TODAY, so if the Academy were to trump SLUMDOG for DARK NIGHT or MILK it’s game on, once again. And with BUTTON having lost momentum it’s wide open once again. There were many surprises, but all great ones, no? I could not love everyone associated with SLUMDOG more. They are divine and adorable. I look forward to actually seeing it and likely giving you my glowing review once I do ;)

And can you say KARMIC RETRIBUTION for Ms. Winslet who was the best thing about the night!!! (She was also the most beautiful woman in the room on the inside and out although the ever stunning Laura Linney gave her a run for her money. ) Sally Hawkins win and Oscars’ past attention to Mike Leigh’s leading ladies bodes well for her, although let’s hope she eats something before March so she can have the strength to carry a clutch purse...

All right, now – not everything has changed. Mickey Rourke? Sewn-to-the-up. Of course, I stopped the Tivo just before his began his speech and turned to my very patient and enabling companions (I love you A&T!!!!) in watching the program and said “He wins or loses the Oscar in the next two minutes.” Clearly, he won it. Great speech. The doggie section was very touching and not just because I obviously love doggies, but because we all understand loneliness. And nice of him to pass off “gaffe” duties to my beloved Mr. Aronofsky (who hasn’t learned yet that he should have married me and not Rachel Weisz who I would hate for stealing him if she wasn’t so clearly awesome in every way.) And Christopher Nolan is doing an exceptional job in honoring Ledger, which must be truly difficult to rise to among the sadness we all feel for his loss...

For TV, I’m thrilled that MAD MEN got the chance to reclaim the spotlight they didn’t get a chance to shine in last year, although it would have been nice to see HAMM get a chance to give a speech. Well, it’s nice to see HAMM do ANYTHING. He’s just breathtaking. I was disappointed that RECOUNT didn’t do better, but it’s hard to argue with the Giamatti, Linney, Wilkenson and Hanks corner.

Those who know me know that I’m no fashion maven, but even I can make some obvious observations:

- How did it become the hair style of the moment to look like you spent five hours on your hair only to mess it up after you got rough and tumble with someone in the coat closet minutes before the show started? (yes, Drew Barrymore I'm talking to you)

- Furthermore - powder blue eye shadow??? Sequins??? Metallic dresses??? Do you people not realize that the only reason they got away with that at Studio 54 was because everyone was on cocaine????

- Further furthermore - strapless dresses look WRETCHED on women who don't stand up straight. The stylist who starts making actresses practice walking around with a book on their heads will make a mint this season...

- Furtherest - I’m putting Renee Zellweger on a fashion time out until Carolina Herrera recovers her mind. Or eyesight. Or both.

- Lastly, Hollywood - please note: You do not look tan. You look like a pumpkin. Please stop.

4 comments:

Little Fish said...

Hooray for Kate Winslet!

Anonymous said...

I agree about Kate Winslet. She is wonderful and I always root for her. She looked beautiful. 2 other women who looked dynamite that you didn’t mention were Sandra Bullock and Kate Beckinsale. Along with Winslet and Linney, the four ladies were beautifully dressed and stunning. I love sequins and metallic dresses, but you can have the blue eye shadow.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the golden globes -
I agree on every point!What did you think of Tina Fey? I was cracking up at Tracey Morgan when he gave the speech when 30 rock won!(tho he looked like he had one to many drinks!)

Anonymous said...

I thought Tina Fey's dress was a little tooooo 70's but she was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! and looked very beautiful, especially her make up and hair...