Thursday, December 4, 2008

Early Oscar Predicts - Watch me be Wrong! Or right... :-)

The National Board and the Spirit Awards have stolen my thunder, but anyway HERE are my predicts at this point:

Picture – Benjamin Button (which looks disturbingly "heartwarming")
Actor – Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler (or Pitt if Rourke makes a PR gaffe ahead of time, which is most likely. Langella is peaking too soon...like NOW.)
Actress – Anne Hathaway (ANOTHER youngin' stealing Kate Winslet’s Oscar :(...boo. )
Supp. Actor – Heath Ledger
Supp Actress – Debra Winger (isn't it kind of bizarre in retrospect that Debra Winger doesn't have an Oscar already?)
Director – David Fincher (long overdue, but I expect the director of FIGHT CLUB - one of the greatest films ever made - shouldn’t win it for this Forrest Gumpian, sentimentalist piece)

And in the "consolation prize" categories:
Adapted Screenplay – Slumdog Millionaire
Original Screenplay – Milk

Btw – I saw FOUR CHRISTMASES with my parents, which was very, very cute. But can we talk about the fact that there are not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE Oscar winners in that movie??? Does that seem....well, kind of odd to anyone else?

8 comments:

Asher said...

With all the buzz I've been hearing, I'd be very surprised if "Milk" didn't grab Best Picture and/or Best Actor.

DeLisa Online said...

I feel ya - but I'm thinking it might be TOO good for Oscar, you know? After NO COUNTRY last year, they're due for some conventionality. I think the BB sentimentality will ring bells with them, and Rourke's "comeback" or Pitt humanitarian commitment to New Orleans will overshadow "yet another great" performance from prior winner Penn. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised or displeased if you were absolutely right. MILK is SUCH an important story, especially now. And the Academy may want to make amends for their Brokeback dis.... as well they should.

Unknown said...

Well, here's my prediction (wish?):
Speed Racer for Best Editing

I know a lot of people thought this movie stunk and it disappeared from the box office pretty quickly; I myself was utterly committed to NOT seeing it, but when I did (on DVD) I was hooked in spite of myself. And I've watched it repeatedly since then. It's a total trip. (It's not high-falutin' enough to get a nod for art direction, but there is some strong vision there as well.)

Asher said...

One-on-one with Taraji Henson
Taraji P. Henson talks about her new movie "The Curious Life of Benjamin Button."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/04/taraji.henson/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

DeLisa Online said...

Hey Guys - THANK YOU for your comments!

I think Annalisa is right and that Speed Racer - an underrated flick IMHO - is due for some serious technical award consideration.

And thanks MM for the link to the article on CNN.I plan to see BB the day it opens. Fincher is one of my all time faves and I’ve always loved Cate Blanchett (isn't it OBVIOUS now that she should have won Best Actress in 1999??) and felt that BDP is one of our most underrated actors (especially as a comic actor, he excels). But from the reviews and the trailer BB looks a little sentimental for Fin. I like him dark. That’s what I like the most about him is that his idea of a comedy is FIGHT CLUB. This feels too Forest Gump to me and I HATE that movie. But if this it what it takes for my man Fin to win Oscar, I’ll go along. And who knows – maybe I’ll love it… I hope that I do!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen enough of these movies to comment on your picks.

But add one Grammy winner to the five Oscar winners in FOUR CHRISTMASES!

DeLisa Online said...

Good point Shakespeare Teacher!!! In fact, there are TWO Grammy winners in 4 Xmases!! Both Dwight Yoakum and Tim McGraw are Grammy winners! And both in Country categories!

And predicts are based on buzz not actual opinion of the films themselves. Benjamin Button has yet to open in fact. But one hopes that this kind of buzz does steer one toward exploring one of these films in your movie going options, instead of say - the might-as-well-be-picking-my-pocket-because-its-not-even-a-good-action-flick THE PUNISHER....

Anonymous said...

Ah! I missed Dwight Yoakam.

Also, I believe Kristin Chenoweth has a Tony for You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown!